Wednesday, August 17, 2005

A/C finally fixed

But not before the a/c belt broke again, after only 2 weeks of service. On Saturday, one of the hottest days of the year, I had to drive to church at 3 PM, the hottest part of the day. The A/C squealed as I went up the driveway and hot air blowed out for the rest of the 3 mile trip to church. DH was already there, because it was a baptism, and he had to fill up the font with water. I sweated bullets and used so many kleenexs to mop the water from my face. It was a good thing I had decided not to wear makeup, as it would have looked horrendous when I got there.

I gave a talk about the Holy Ghost, but before my talk, the husband of the woman being baptised, sang "How Great Thou Art". Oh, was he ever good! I was totally surprised at how wonderful a voice he had. I melted into tears, just before getting up for a talk. I guess it was cathartic, though, and I was calm during my talk. A lot of other people cried during his performance. It was a moment that I was glad I had witnessed, a truly beautiful memory. The woman and her son and daughter were all baptised, but the son had problems because he was frightened of the water. They tried 3 or 4 times, but he still had to be baptised early on Sunday morning because part of him was sticking out of the water. The whole body has to be immersed in order for it to be right.

So, I have been sick on Monday and Tuesday, but I'm feeling better now. I changed the curtains in the dining room, because the old ones were sheer and let in so much light that I'm sure it doesn't help with A/C in the house. I am going to change the kitchen ones, too, as they are lace and I have 2 pairs that will fit nicely and not let in as much light. I put my two hanging plants out on the patio cover, and I'll take them in when it gets cold. I am growing basil on my windowsill, and it's great to be able to just snip it off when I want some.

Someday I know we will have a deck. Right now, there are sliding glass doors on the dining room, but no deck, just a white railing there so no one walks out accidentally. We need to do so many improvements until we can do the deck. Right now there is only the subflooring in the dining room. I am thinking of buying a big piece of canvas to paint and cover this like a rug until we can finish the rest of the room. It will get crown molding, chair rail, finish painting (almost finished, but need to do a little more), wainscoating on the bottom half of the walls, and some border print. Then we can do the flooring, which I think will be tile that will go from the dining area into the kitchen.

We also have so many other things to do in the family room. I guess it will all get done eventually.

2 comments:

HistoryDetective said...

Autombile A/C can be so troublesome. You really put my whining about not having a CD player in my car into perspective.
The soloist sounds really good, but I like to sing along with that one. There's a guy at the church where I grew up who always did some sort of warbling whistle when we sang that hymn.

yvonne said...

Music is one thing that can move me to tears faster than anything else. How lucky are you to have witnessed such a beautiful moment. I wish we all had more of those moments in our lives. I think we would be nicer to each other, don't you?

*smooch* to you , sweetie.