Friday, August 22, 2008

Community College

Today DD and I went to the Community College in our area for an orientation. We have already been through placement testing (last week), paid for tuition (over $700 for 2 courses), and bought books (218 total, 155 was for an elementary math book).

It was interesting to see the staff as they informed us of what to expect. The college president is a nice lady, who has a good presence. I need to be more like that. Lately I've been lacking some self-esteem. Anyway, the presentation was valuable.

Now, here's the thing. I want to apply for a position there at the college - one that seems to be right up my alley, but I have to convince them of that. The last 2 jobs I applied for told me I did not have any "secretarial experience", even though my days as an accounting technician was mosting typing reports, answering phones, filing and such. I disagreed, but decided not to call them on it. It just felt like I wasn't supposed to get that job.

This job is in the registration and transcript department. I would be doing lots of data entry, helping people register, and so on. It is a full time job, though, and I've been wanting just a part time position of 20 hours a week. I don't know if I can hack it, and take care of my house.

Anyway, getting a job there would mean DD's tuition is absolutely free. I would love that part, but I'm her ride to school, so she would have to possibly take a bus to or from school on some days. It would not hurt her to do this. She has a class on Monday night, and one on Friday morning. The job is mostly days, but there is one night until 7 PM.

I'm a bit nervous just thinking about the interview. I haven't worked in 19 years, even though I've done some computer work for the church in the interim, and I've worked as an elections judge.

I really think a better job is out there. I would love a part time job in the library, working at the circulation desk. I've seen them posted, but the timing has not been right. Maybe I should just wait. Most of the library circulation desk jobs are 17 to 20 hours a week and that would be just fine, except for maybe having to work weekends.

We just want DD to get used to going to school, so no job for her yet. She may be able to apply for Christmas jobs in October, because there are numerous opportunities right here in our neighborhood for that kind of work.

1 comment:

Pachi_PMT said...

Well, one of my friends told me that it wasn't a good idea to apply of a job during the holidays, especially if it's my first job and I need training.

Those times are the most hectic with last minute Christmas shopping and so forth, and if it is your first time working at that place, you will be working the register.

So I guess my first job should be during the summertime, from the sound of it.