Monday, August 04, 2008

Family Reunion

Yesterday was the White Family Reunion in Mummasburg, PA at the Mummasburg Sportsmen's Club - which is a baseball field with a small building with bathrooms, kitchen, and a community room. The building is air conditioned, but this year we did not need it. It was so beautiful outside - perfect for the picnic.

Everyone brings something - like a potluck dinner. I usually love the fried chicken selection, but this year it was so much grease. Maybe I am not used to it anymore. I prefer skinless chicken these days anyway.

Things of note: One of my cousins has lost 120 pounds, motivated by a stroke she had. She is about 52 years old. She had always been heavy her whole life, but now is a more regular size. She almost lost her vision because of the stroke, and she loves to read, so it was a difficult situation for her.

Another thing: I started talking to cousin Nancy about my parent's estate. Dad died back in 2002, and my mother died last year in May, 2007. They had told me 14 years ago that I was the executor of their will. I don't know if that has changed at all. My brother told everyone, except me, that the house is his. It's probably just wishful thinking on his part, but I really need to know if I am supposed to be dividing up the property three ways - my sister had been living with him in the parental home, but they were not getting along the last time I heard. She always comes back there to roost when she can't manage to pay her rent or house payment. She has lost 2 homes to foreclosure through the years, and declared bankruptcy 2 times.

Anyway, neither one of them is good managing their money. My brother has had a stroke and is on disability. At least he has some income coming in. He used to be a junkie, and now he still indulges in marijuana.

My parents' old home is a mess. I would not want to live there for any amount of money, but it is a single family home that could fetch up to $150 if it was sold.

So cousin Nancy told me I must get in touch with my father's best friend and neighbor so I can find out the name of the lawyer who drew up the will. My brother has a copy of it in his safe, but we have not spoken about it. Frankly, I am a little afraid of my brother's temper, as I know he does not want to have "his home" taken away from him. Darn it all, my family could use the money. My DH is working overtime to pay for home repairs and the upcoming college tuition for DD.

5 comments:

Paul said...

Glad you had a good time at the reunion!

IMO, go ahead and contact the lawyer. I doubt your brother is going to be happy regardless of what you do, so you might as well do the right thing and let him go pound sand.

Tummy said...

I always dread reunions and then wind up really enjoying them.

Wow on the cousins weight loss, good on her!

I'm with Cygnus, find out about the lawyer. I'm surprised the lawyer hasn't contacted you.

kim (weltek) said...

Ugh, no fun with the estate thing. I think you NEED to talk to the laywer.

Puffy said...

Absolutely go see the lawyer. Any money you spend will be well worth it. IMO, your brother is being dishonest and stealing from you. As a side note, I think your meant $150,000 instead of $150.

Silvergirl said...

Thank you for your input, everyone.

Puffy, yes, I did mean $150K, but left off the K in my haste. Thanks for the correction.