Wednesday, February 08, 2006

We went to church on Sunday, and after Sacrament my DH told me a friend's husband has terminal cancer. We knew he had cancer, but held out the hope that he would recover with chemo. I sat there and cried while people walked past me on their way to Sunday school classes.

I feel for this family. My daughter likes to hang out with their daughter, who is a year older than my DD. They have so much in common because they both love video games and gameboy. It is a sad time for this family. I think the friend and her DH are only in their early 40's. They have a 17 year old daughter and a 12 year old son. My friend just got a job a few months ago working as a substitute Head Start teacher's aid. Her DH was a social worker in New York. Unfortunately, he has been sick a long time and lost a lot of weight. I don't think he was diagnosed correctly at first, thus, the cancer spread throughout his body.

At the baptism of his wife and 2 children, he sang "How Great Thou Art". I posted about this previously, I think. I will never forget the sound that resonated through that small room as he sang in his beautiful bass voice. I closed my eyes and could feel the deep vibrations. He has such a talent. He wants to be baptized into our church, also, but he is so very frail. He managed to sing at Christmas time - "O, Holy Night", but he was very, very weak. He still managed to belt out the song, starting weak, but ending strong. He had to have help while walking.

My DH told me that my friend's DH will be put into a nursing facility. I will continue to pray for him. I so hate cancer, and I hope someday we find a cure for it in all of it's horrible forms.

As for me, I am up with indigestion. That will teach me to eat chocolate and peanut butter late at night. I had a nice dinner - pork loin, red skinned potatoes, and green beans, and I definitely have my appetite back. I need to get the exercise equipment set up in the family room, so I am working on getting it cleared of other things. We thought we would have a bigger house, but wound up buying one that is smaller than the one we were going to build, so storage is still challenging. A friend of ours is giving us an exercise bike, so I need to get that set up to burn up some calories. I am so happy to be feeling better than I was last month, and I think more exercise will make me feel even better, and help with some of my health issues.

If you are reading this, what do you do for exercise? DD found out she has gained 20 pounds over the past year, so she is ready to start her exercise program.

2 comments:

Silvergirl said...

Thanks for dropping by, Blueblaze. I still have to pick up the exercise bike, but at least it's free. We also have a rowing machine that can be put up against a wall when it's not in use. We are working on clearing up boxes here and I'm trying to get enough sleep so I can be motivated to exercise.

I need to lose more than 20 pounds, but 20 pounds might make a big difference in my health. DD probably could lose a little more than 20 pounds, too, but I'm not pushing her to diet, just to eat more fruits and veggies and exercise more. That is also my plan. I hope to have the bike set up by this Saturday.

consise10 said...

Best of luck with you both getting fit Silvergirl. I am what they call a 'neurotic'. I find that most nights I wake at around 2am after around 3 to 4 hours sleep.I get out of bed put some clothes on and get out side. Under the canopy of the night sky I run. It not only serves as a great fitness technique but it`s much required to calm an overactive mind full of crap. Many times during some of those nights I have come across others who also do the same.