Monday, March 26, 2007

I love crabcakes

Anyone who knows me knows that I love crabcakes, so it was a nice birthday surprise to discover a place just a few miles up the road from me that not only have great crabcakes, but also good cream of crab soup. I have driven past this restaurant many times, on the way to the Middletown library, and never realized there was a nice place there.

Well, I drug DD there for the first taste testing on my birthday, the 22nd. She ordered the grilled chicken sandwich with sides of mashed potato and zucchini, followed by fresh homemade peanut butter pie, one of her absolute favorites. I ordered the jumbo lumb crabmeat bisque, which I have previously called "cream of crab". I followed that with a jumbo lump crabcake, with sides of cucumber salad and rotini pasta salad. It was all good.

The next day a friend invited me to lunch, and we wound up back at the same restaurant. She spent part of her childhood in Frederick, but had never noticed this place, either. We both ordered the crab saute with tricolor peppers, and the small garden greens salad. The salad included a pretty fuschia colored edible flower. I think it was an orchid. I ate mine, but my friend did not.

I then threw the diet out of the window and ordered the cheesecake. She could not enjoy it, because it probably had wheat in the crust, and she's got celiac disease. It was excellent.

On Saturday, we spent a rather long morning at the DC Temple, and then headed over to the Hong Kong restaurant on Connecticut. The food is good there, but we think we prefer the Dynasty in Wheaton, if it's still there. All in all, it was a good deal, though, because the meal included lots of nice sized shrimp.

Well, back to the grind, and then we go on vacation.

5 comments:

Lasann said...

Are you still going to Utah?

Debcapsfan said...

Where are you going?
Can I come meet you for crabcakes some time?

Silvergirl said...

Yes, I'll be in Bountiful, Utah on Easter break. I'm looking forward to no cooking for a week. Woo Hoo!

Deb, I would love to have you meet me for crabcakes. Sometime after the trip?

Mom2BJM(Amy) said...

I have a friend who used to live nearby, and who also has a birthday in Feb. We would always go to lunch at Red Lobster to celebrate our birthdays, until she married and moved to the mountains. She called this week, and will be here this weekend, so we are a month late but are squeezing in lunch at Red Lobster between conference sessions!

Yeah for all things seafood!! We usually go there since my DH is not a big fish fan!

Countdown to vacation!!

Paul said...

Mmmmm . . . crabcakes . . . :-9

LC and I will come meet you and Deb too! (If, that is, you'll have us!)