Sunday, March 11, 2007

Spoiled DH

I ordered some hair products and some clothes this week, because I really need to update my closet and my hair needs something new. I have not been to a salon for a professional haircut in 7 years, and that was the only visit I have made since 1994. I have been doing my hair myself. I usually get compliments, so I know I've been doing something right.

A few months ago, I let someone else who said they had salon training cut DD's hair. I was having a time with it, but I had cut it and thinned it out. I didn't think it looked bad, as far as the cut was concerned, but this woman had me convinced she could make DD's hair look better. Well, I don't like what she did, and we are letting it grow out. DD has thick wavy, curly hair that tends to frizz quite a bit. After that episode with the not so great haircut, we've decided to use a combination of hair gel and safflower oil. I buy the oil at the grocery store. It seems to tame her locks well enough, but I wanted to experiment, thus I purchased some new shampoos, conditioners, and styling products for the both of us.

I felt the need to try new things myself, so I bought some Bedhead Creative Genius, and some Nexxus Botanoil Shampoo that was recommended by some online friends. I used them the last time I shampooed, conditioned with Dove conditioner, and styled with the Bedhead CG. I like the way my hair looks, but the Bedhead product is kind of stiff. Maybe I will use less of it the next time, or I will try one of the other product lines I purchased. I spent $40,and got enough hair stuff to last us about 6 months, provided that we like it. If we don't like it, we will let DH use it, because he has very short hair, and all he wants is shampoo and conditioner.

Anyway, all these purchases come out of my monthly budget, and I can handle it. My budget is a set amount, and I very seldom go over the limit. He looked at me and said, "Happy Birthday!" I said, "Happy Birthday? This is coming out of my budget."

Well, he just better not complain. I'd go to the beauty salon and charge it up big time if I really wanted to give myself a treat, but I don't know of a good stylist that I would really trust. That last haircut in 2000 was not all that great. I could easily do it at home, that's why I haven't been back. I don't want to be like a friend who just trusts the people at the Hair Cuttery with her hair.

2 comments:

Puffy said...

I love how you'll let DH use the products that you don't like.

Silvergirl said...

He's not picky, except when it came to choosing a wife. ;)

He did complain about the shampoo and condition I bought from the African American section. I thought it might help DD's frizzy hair, but she didn't like it either. Now her hair looks nice with the new selection of products.