Wednesday, June 04, 2008

My Singing Debut


I've always been shy, so it was a little out of character for me to volunteer to sing solo. My church had a talent show Friday night, and I had decided to get up and sing two of my favorite songs. I know all the words to these songs, but I printed the words out anyway, because I knew I would be too nervous to remember them.

The first song was "Dream A Little Dream of Me", made famous by Cass Elliott. I was going to sing a solo for that one, but my DD wanted to sing with me, so we did. There were about 50 or so people out there in the gymnasium. I had decided to sing ac capella. As we started, DD had a little false start, and corrected herself, but when I looked up, I could see one of the teenage boys smirking. I know he doesn't like her, but it was still rude of him.

As we sang, our voices became stronger. Our voices are very similar. We did not try to sing in parts, though. After that song was over, we had nice applause, and then I sang "Mercedes Benz", a song that was made famous by Janis Joplin. I told the crowd this, and that I don't have a Janis Joplin voice. I felt confident singing this one, and was met with applause.

Of course, every act was met with applause. There were two 5 and 6 year olds doing ballet for us, and a teenaged girl doing her more advanced ballet. One child was terrific on the drums. It seems he is a prodigy - he picks up everything very quickly.

One of the numbers that I enjoyed was "Henry the 8th", where the audience joined in on singing the chorus. It was fun. My one friend brought her needlepoint pictures, which were very beautiful. She has had a lot of medical problems, and also a great deal of time waiting in her vehicle for her teen aged children when they went to the mall. She has had difficulty with her legs, so she would stay and needlepoint.

DD drew a picture of the three of us taking a walk. It is a cartoon character style, somewhat like anime.

At least 5 people complimented me on my singing, that night and on Sunday. I guess I did good. Now I'm thinking of looking for open mic nights at my local restaurants - there are two here in Frederick. I don't know yet if I feel brave enough for that. I want to go scope them out first to see how it works.

3 comments:

Paul said...

You go, (Silver)girl! Good for you. Maybe we could sing Karaoke someplace; I haven't done that in years.

Mom2BJM(Amy) said...

How Brave of you! Break out of that shell, Young Lady!! Keep it up! It'll be singing in church, for real, next time!

Debcapsfan said...

Wow, that's great...I think I'd crack under the pressure of singing live.