Monday, June 19, 2006

We're home from our camping trip.

It has been 6 years since our last camping trip and 2 years since our last family vacation. It was also the maiden voyage for the Aliner, which was nice to sleep in. DH and I slept in the camper - with him on the dinette side and me on the sofa side. We didn't take a television this time and probably won't the next time, though I am tempted to take the tiny 5" black and white one just in case we are that bored. I think I am taking along some board games the next time. There is one old one called Facts in Five that is fun, but I've never taken the time to teach it to DH and DD. It's fast and really fun. I might have to look for the game Encore on Ebay. It's about music lyrics and how many you can remember. It's not available in stores anymore.

We ate all our meals in the campground. We grilled hotdogs on Friday night, with baked beans heated on the campstove. I used Bush's baked beans with some added lemon juice to tone down all that sweetness. They are really good that way. I just used juice from one of those plastic lemons. The family loves them this way.

On Saturday, we had a big breakfast of hominy, black pepper bacon, eggs (I use the Omega 3 kind), and toast. I put some of my breakfast away for Sunday morning, because we would leave early that morning, with no time for cooking.

Saturday night we had cheeseburgers cooked on the grill with carrots, chips, sodas, and tomatoes. DH asked for more baked beans, but I had only brought the one can, thinking that everyone would not want them 2 nights in a row. Next camping trip - more beans. I'll also be sure to pack a lighter to combate the resultant methane emissions.

Saturday after breakfast, we drove around the battlefield, stopping to look at the Eternal flame, which has been lit since 1938, when Roosevelt dedicated it to the civil war veterans. It is a nice monument. We basically just stayed in the vehicle the rest ot the time, and went to the National Military Cemetary. I wanted to show DD the family plot next to the Military cemetary. Some of my ancestors were buried there in the Evergreen cemetary. I haven't been there since 1988, so I was surprised to see some people had been added to the graves above my family's plots in 1992 and 93.

We heard a band playing and saw some of the museum. I bought a few post cards to send to peeps who have sent me cards. The museum included lots of artifacts from soldiers, buttons, belt buckles, bullets, letters, guns, rifles, underwear, uniforms, etc.

4 comments:

Kimmah said...

You've made me ridiculously hungry. Yummmmmmmy.

kim (weltek) said...

I'm so glad you had a good time & the Aliner worked out. I love cooking meals while camping! I bought a little toast stand for our campstove, but haven't used it. Is that what you used?

Silvergirl said...

We brought along an extra electric toaster, so that's what we used. The toast stand for the stove sounds interesting, though. I'll ask DH if he's ever used one.

I was tempted to bring the microwave, but didn't this time. I'm thinking that the campstove was so easy that I might just leave the microwave at hone, at least during the warm months. It might be nice to have in the wintertime, but then again, we have an indoor stove in the Aliner.

The campstove we used was an old one my late FIL used to have. It seemed to have 2 settings - high and off. We have another campstove that might work better.

Puffy said...

Sounds fun! You've created some great memories for your family!