Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Misunderstandings

Today I received an email that surprised me somewhat. Here it is, with the names removed for privacy's sake.

Dear Sisters…As you may or may not be aware, Sister _____ ______, a recent convert to the church, and her husband ____, participated in a “Renewal of Wedding Vows” ceremony last Saturday. This was a very special day for them. Unfortunately, members of the ward, including me, were unaware that they were invited to attend and celebrate this day with them. Because of this misunderstanding, no one from the ward was there. In an effort to give support to her we are having a surprise get-together tonight. Sister ______ ________ is hostessing and we will gather at her home at 7:00 (or whenever you can make it!) Her address is:

We had known about the wedding, but we not issued a formal invitation, which I thought was necessary for attendance. The husband discussed the invitations with another member of the church while visiting us at our home, and it was clear that we were not formally invited. Now I've received a phone call to come to this party tonight. I think the couple is okay, but they've had some problems in their marriage, and I can see a pattern of careless spending that can sabotage their relationship.

I also didn't care for the husband's handling of a few things where we were concerned. I guess I just resent it when someone is treating me like I just fell off a turnip truck. I know they spent a lot of money on this vow renewal, money they could not really afford. She bought a $1000 dress. Well, she said it was originally $4,000. I can think of so many other things that money could buy.

I'll be there, and I'll be nice. I'll even bring brownies. I just don't understand how people could not know they were invited, when the couple sent out invitations. I guess I'll find out more at the party.

Someday when DD gets married, we are having a big open house with an open invitation to everyone we know.

So, how you doin'?

3 comments:

kim (weltek) said...

It's weird how some people feel entitled to invitations to things. And it's also weird how some people sweat about invitations to stuff.

Anyway, $1000 on a freaking vow renewal dress????!???!

Puffy said...

I like your idea for when your daughter gets married. It's a joyful time to celebrate with family and friends. Money can ruin it all.

HistoryDetective said...

I agree with Puffy! My brother just got engaged. They both want something small. I told him to do what makes them happy and not try to throw an elaborate party for the rest of us.